Through a rigorous strategic planning process and analysis of school performance across Buffalo, Cullen Foundation prioritized the need to improve access to high-quality schools for historically underserved populations. Cullen has committed to dramatically increasing the number of high-quality seats in schools across the city that serve a majority of economically disadvantaged students via four primary investment strategies:
- Replicate and grow proven high-performing charter schools
- Incubate new high-performing charter schools
- Support the academic growth of mid-performing charter schools
- Invest in human capital pipelines that meet the needs of Buffalo charter schools
January 1, 2022: Application Opens- Winter 2022 Grant Cycle
January 28, 2022: Deadline for full applications at 5:00pm Eastern Time. Early submissions are strongly encouraged.
March 2022: Cullen Foundation will notify applicants of grant decisions.
Cullen has awarded targeted grants to the following charter schools to support their efforts in making and exceeding state performance benchmarks:
Cullen awarded strategic grants to the following charter school to support its effort to replicate:
In addition, Cullen awarded strategic grants to Building Excellent Schools in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Open Responsive Grant Recipients
Cullen Foundation opens its responsive grant application each January to individual charter schools in Erie County that meet the following criteria:
- Schools that are committed to providing excellent education for Buffalo students
- Schools with committed leadership teams with the expertise and ability to successfully implement the grant
- Schools that are reflective, open to share, and transparent in their efforts to significantly improve the life opportunities for its students
- Schools with a majority of its student body qualifying as economically disadvantaged
Cullen awarded responsive grants to the following: